Clearification on Puch Titles

This Forum is for Puch Motorcycle related topics.
djmik

Clearification on Puch Titles

Post by djmik » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:15 pm

Hello, new here= from Ohio. Just a question about Titles ( ohio can be a hard State to deal with). I am looking at a 1967 Puch 250. Upon reviewing the Ohio Title from the owner, In the vin# section. The Ohio Title lists the Model # (810-.....) and not the matching vin numbers. So I was wondering if back in the day, 1967, did they just put the Model number on the Title? The owner call Ohio dmv and tried to explain to them that there are 3884 puches made that year and they eah have a different vin#. You think it would be an easy fix ( inspection by the police), but now they want the previuos owners contacted , makes no sense.

I guess the question is , did they use Model numbers on Title back then??? ( or did some mess up during the 53 years?)
Dr. Frankenstein

Re: Clearification on Puch Titles

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:26 am

I don't know if this helps, but here in Virginia if a vehicle is left on your property for any length of time you can apply for an Abandoned Vehicle title; they charge you $25 for a title search to see if anybody owns it, you have to wait two weeks while they do the search, and if a title is Not found, you can then apply for a proper Title for the vehicle to either sell it or re-title it in your name, wait an additional Three weeks, and then (for an additional $85 - which, btw, they don't tell you in the process description until you get to the counter - at least here... ) apply for a Title.

One of the things I have found is, most DMV personnel (unless they're familiar with old bikes) are weirded out by the title numbers of old vehicles; all they're doing is 'their job', and if the bike isn't all shiny and new or the numbers on the bike don't fill in the appropriate spaces in their computer they tend to freak out and demand you trace the bikes lineage all the way back to the manufacturer...I suggest you see if Ohio has a way you can re-title an Abandoned Vehicle. I have gotten titles for several vehicles this way, and as long as the paperwork is properly filled out (just two forms, if I recall correctly - the Title Search form, and the Application form) you shouldn't have a problem.
djmik

Post by djmik » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:53 am

Thanks....you would think it would be a simple fix. take to State trooper, verify vin, take to dmv.

anyone else have the model number on their Title and not the vin# ( maybe they did it that way, 53 years ago.
Draco63

Post by Draco63 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:44 am

Get a notarized bill of sale from current owner. Use that to register the bike in Vermont. Vermont does not title antique vehicles. Vermont registration is proof of ownership. Use Vermont registration to title in your state. No need to live in or visit Vermont.
1964 Puch 250SGS Awaiting Repair
1967 Puch 250SGS Restored
1969 Puch 250SGS Running
1967 Matchless G15 CS Cafe Racer Restoration on temporary hold.
2002 Honda CBR F4i Running
djmik

Post by djmik » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:37 pm

Thanks for the info.......printer vermont forms...

thanks again
djmik

Post by djmik » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:19 pm

Ohio BMV has a site that anyone can put in a vin or title number and it will give limited info, type of vehicle , date bought, purchase price, county owner lives in.

So I did the limited search (ohio) and put in the Model number (810.94211) of the 1968 Puch 250. Well, interesting....Three (3) DIFFERENT ohio Titles with 3 different owners, showed up with all of them having the above listed Model number in the vin section of the ohio title. I think that they made about 3000 or so with the same model number, but different vin numbers.

So maybe back in the 60,s they may have used the model numbers on the titles??

Little survey from all:

If you get a chance to check your Title ( from any State), check to see if it has the model number of vin number on your Title.?
bocutter

Post by bocutter » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:33 pm

BMV > DMV?

I'll guess that, seeing as these were mail-order bikes, the people registering them didn't know the difference between Model # and VIN #.
'61 Puch DS60 (Allstate Compact) - sno-bike
'66 Puch 250 SGS - off the bench Aug '19
'87 BMW K75s - daily user

My name is Ed
djmik

Post by djmik » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:35 pm

hi ed

in ohio, its bmv bureau of motor vehicles

thanks for the update

david
bocutter

Post by bocutter » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:39 pm

djmik wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:35 pm
hi ed

in ohio, its bmv bureau of motor vehicles

thanks for the update

david
Thanks. I thought it was Department of MV. Up here it's Ministry of Transportation.
'61 Puch DS60 (Allstate Compact) - sno-bike
'66 Puch 250 SGS - off the bench Aug '19
'87 BMW K75s - daily user

My name is Ed
djmik

Post by djmik » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:51 pm

Thanks Ed

any idea where I can get a parts manual for a 1965 Puch 175?

david