Allstate Compact DS60 Cables

This Forum is for Puch Motorcycle related topics.
Dr. Frankenstein
Allstate Compact DS60 Cables

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:36 pm

Well, the new babies are in the garage; in pretty rough shape paint-wise - a lot of surface rust but that'll be the fun part, sanding them down and refinishing them. One actually runs, the other one, Not So Much.

But my question is, I'm trying to take off the clutch cable to take out the engine, and I can't figure out how to get it out! The cable barrel is at one end where it goes into the clutch rod barrel holder, the other end is broken off at the handlebar. The clutch lever end has the barrel on it -

Working back from the clutch rod, that wire goes through a solid 'ring' that the clutch adjuster screws in to on the other side of that molded-in ring, which is part of the engine case. My problem is, the barrel end won't fit through the hole, and the threaded adjuster won't go through it the other way. Does anybody have one of these scooters that could advise me? I Could just cut it - and probably will because I need to replace all the cables anyway - but I learned long ago not to just cut stuff off if I can help it.

Also, if you have one of these little scooters, what's a good source for wheels and tires, cables and any other stuff these little bikes need?
bocutter

Re: Allstate Compact DS60 Cables

Post by bocutter » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:03 pm

The barrel end should have a slit on one side. The barrel should slip back on the cable and the cable will come out through the slit.

I've had best luck getting parts through RBO.
'61 Puch DS60 (Allstate Compact) - sno-bike
'66 Puch 250 SGS - off the bench Aug '19
'87 BMW K75s - daily user

My name is Ed
Dr. Frankenstein

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:37 pm

Mine didn't, I wound up cutting it. I have no idea how they got it in there to begin with. Granted, the handle end/barrel was gone, so it had to be replaced anyway, but I still don't like doing that. I've been considering starting to make my own cables anyway, and maybe sheath them in shrink tubing; but I will check out RBO. My German isn't what it used to be, though. Any other sources stateside you know of? And any idea of how long the clutch and brake cables are/should be?

For the Brake and clutch, what am I looking for, the Bremseil hi, Bremseil vorne DS50 V4GG, Kupplengseill DS50 V4GG, Kupplungsseil DS50 4GG, or the Gasseil DS50 4GG? I haven't had to speak German in over 30 years. Nice prices though.

Does the / did the DS60 have a muffler? One of mine has what appears to be a muffler under the bike, to the rear of the engine, but it's kind of loud. Sounds cool though...would a set of Vespa cables work?
bocutter

Post by bocutter » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:58 pm

I ordered cables from RBO. The throttle cable was for an MS50 and didn't fit. Picking error I'd guess. Everything else was good. If the sheath is good I'll put a new cable in it using a bicycle rear brake cable, 2mm IIRC. Use silver solder if you know how.
Stateside you have Motorwest. Any orders from Austria should be confirmed/checked via email. Their English is probably better than your German 😉 .
'61 Puch DS60 (Allstate Compact) - sno-bike
'66 Puch 250 SGS - off the bench Aug '19
'87 BMW K75s - daily user

My name is Ed
Dr. Frankenstein

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:35 am

I'm thinking I'll just go with Motorwest; it looks like Matt has the whole cable package for $64, which is pretty good. I still need to find a kickstarter and brake lever, though.