Introduction and New (to me) 1964 Allstate 250

This Forum is for Puch Motorcycle related topics.
PuchRider
Introduction and New (to me) 1964 Allstate 250

Post by PuchRider » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:51 pm

Hey all, I'm the proud new owner of a 1964 Allstate 250. Bike runs strong. I'm doing some maintenance/preventive maintenance (i.e., carb cleaning, timing check, replacing cables, checking the crank seals, compression, etc; I suspect a large order from MotorWest soon!)

I noticed the locating pin on the front cylinder is oriented toward the intake. This may be a dumb question, but is this normal? I've searched for pictures of rebuilds, but haven't found a clear angle. I don't think it's normal as, from experience, it can cause snagging. The repair manual, at least from what I can decipher, notes ring gaps are supposed to be toward the back. It runs fine, but definitely want to take the time to correct it if it's wrong. I'm thinking I might as well go ahead and replace all seals and gaskets using this kit (with cables) from MotorWest, thoughts on this? Again, it seems to run fine, but don't have anything to compare it to. I hope the 3-4 psi test will provide insight on the crank seals. I'll be sure to post pictures of all the progress, for those interested. Thanks, and great to be a part of the community!

bocutter

Re: Introduction and New (to me) 1964 Allstate 250

Post by bocutter » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:04 pm

Welcome aboard.

The rings are pegged at 45° off the x/y axis, and should be at the rear as per the manual.
'61 Puch DS60 (Allstate Compact) - sno-bike
'66 Puch 250 SGS - off the bench Aug '19
'87 BMW K75s - daily user

My name is Ed
PuchRider

Re: Introduction and New (to me) 1964 Allstate 250

Post by PuchRider » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:12 am

bocutter wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:04 pm
Welcome aboard.

The rings are pegged at 45° off the x/y axis, and should be at the rear as per the manual.
Thank you! I will be sure to fix that