Floppy Kickstarter Part II

This Forum is for Puch Motorcycle related topics.
Dr. Frankenstein
Floppy Kickstarter Part II

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:35 pm

I finally managed to get the Kickstarter back in place, but with all the 'instructions' the manual told me to do that I may or may not have had to do, I wound up re-timing it.. And that's always fun, you know...?

Anyway, I got it dialed in and took it for a ride today, very happy. It runs great, and I'm happy to say my timing is spot-on...I look forward to many more such session as we get to know each other. ;) Seems to be a pretty wide power band in each gear, too, which is cool...

BUT!! (At least it's not a very Big but, so to speak)...I noticed while I was riding that the dang handlebars were slipping, and going Down as I rode, making it hard to pull in the clutch; almost felt like a set of clubman bars! - got it home, tightened the hell out of the nuts, went again, and same thing - a little better, but still slipping.

I noticed there is a kind of 'wrap' around the bars, under the top clamp part - - so long story short, what would be a good replacement to put under there, like an anti-skid/slip tape or something, to keep the bars from rotating down? Do they make such a thing? (I'm sure they must, somewhere...)
Plumbers tape...??

Believe me, I torqued those bolts as hard as I dared, til they wouldn't go any more, and the bars still dropped; it was annoying. I am open to suggestions.
bocutter

Re: Floppy Kickstarter Part II

Post by bocutter » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:10 pm

Dr. Frankenstein wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:35 pm
Do they make such a thing? (I'm sure they must, somewhere...)
Plumbers tape...??
Inner tube, I read somewhere.
'61 Puch DS60 (Allstate Compact) - sno-bike
'66 Puch 250 SGS - off the bench Aug '19
'87 BMW K75s - daily user

My name is Ed
Dr. Frankenstein

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:30 pm

Hey, now There's an idea...! And I have a sacrificial one, too; I'll give that a try. Thanks!
Dr. Frankenstein

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:20 pm

Just an update: I tried the innertube thing, and it actually got worse. I replaced the original rubber thingy and cranked down on the bolts, and it got better, but still managed to slip down. It appears the rubber piece is now made out of Unobtanium, so I plan to replace the original bolts with some new ones I picked up at Ace Hardware, of all places. I'll see if that helps, but...