175 wiring...?

This Forum is for Puch Motorcycle related topics.
olpuchguy

175 wiring...?

Post by olpuchguy » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:29 pm

I'm far enough along with my "restoration" of my '58 175 Sears Allstate Standard that I'm attempting to reconnect the wiring...and therein lies the rub. I'm using a reprint of the original manual showing the wiring diagram - I also have a much larger manual that covers all the Sears Allstate models; it includes the wiring diagrams (the 175's wiring diagrams from both manuals are in agreement). I took extensive photos before I disconnected anything. I drew diagrams/took notes, besides.
I believe no one's been at the original wiring, going on appearances only.
But now...
I discover that not all of my wires' colors match what's indicated on the diagrams.
The numbers on the "combined switch" don't ALL match up to the numbers indicated on the wiring diagram(s) - as best as I can read them on the diagram(s)...they're difficult to make out, but I'm reasonably confident I'm seeing them correctly.
The diagrams also indicate a "highbeam headlight indicator" - where in the world would that occur? My headlight bucket(and I'm sure it's original) does NOT have any of the red/green lenses that indicate charging or neutral; there's just the removable key/switch. Would this indicate I need an earlier wiring diagram to follow?
Whew.
So I'm just wondering...is there a different wiring diagram out there somewhere? Anyone else ever have this/these problem(s)?
Or should I just quit whining and take the whole blinking mess one wire at a time and suffer through it?
It's kind of like having a 500 piece jigsaw puzzle with no picture on the box - or the wrong box.
Thanks.
Dennis
1969 SR125 sold
1964 150A sold
1965 150A sold
1958 175 Standard
1960 125 Hardtail
1980 Puch Magnum II
1960 Sears Allstate 123.94401 (Yardman Motorette) sold
1960(?) Sears Allstate 1233.94400 (Yardman Motorette) sold
1958 Sears 811.30 scooter sold